Couples often ask me for my thoughts on pre-marital counselling, whether it’s worth the time and/or money to do it. It is entirely up to the couple, but I always emphasize how great of a tool counselling can be. At the end of the day, it is important for the couple to be spending just as much time - if not more, on their relationship as the wedding day itself.
A few benefits of pre-marital counselling include:
- Intentional time for you, as a couple, to get to know one another on a deeper level. Perhaps you’ll discover new and important things in your relationship that haven’t come up yet.
- You can begin making decisions about your future with a professional guiding you in the discussion.
- Finances, spirituality and sex are some key topics discussed which coincidentally are the top three issues people disagree on in marriage.
- You will have a mentor who has been specifically trained to show you the ropes of marriage, and potentially share their own experiences.
- Dealing with conflicts in a relationship early on produces a more positive outcome. Allowing problems to fester can frequently - if not always, result in them growing into a very big issue, and creates a lot of tension within a relationship. If you deal with the problems early on you set yourselves up for a positive pattern.
- It’s fun! It’s great to set time apart to be with your partner and discuss your future. You’ll be surprised at how much closer this will bring you together.
Remember that everyone needs help in their relationship! You do not need to feel weak and you do not need to be religious in order to go to pre-marital counselling. Problems in marriage will inevitably come so it is a wise choice to deal with them early on.
Now don’t get me wrong: I love everything weddings. I love planning and perfecting the design and details to create a fantastic day that people will reflect on with fond memories. Creating an incredible event is truly important to me. I have been professionally trained to know the ins and outs of wedding planning, and this is a why hiring a wedding planner has major benefits. It allows us to take care of the wedding planning details so that you can take care of the marriage.
Many counselling offices offer pre-marital counselling, as well as churches/temples/other places of worship. Contact us if you would like help with finding the right one for you!